The link below is to a portion of a NC Map from 1770. I have printed the full map on a 48″ x 36″ vinyl banner to be displayed at Morrison gatherings.
A few points of interest to notice:
- Charlotte is shown as Charlottesburgh
- Oliphants Mill is now under Lake Norman
- Catawbaw River is spelled with a “w” at the end
- There is a community listed as “Morrison” (probably the farm of either James or William Morrison) located around the current community of Scotts – notice the “s” in Morrison looks like an “f” – that is how the letter looked in early print.
- The Brushy Mountains
- The Blue Ridge
- Fort Dobbs
- 3rd and 4th Creek
- The Brevard community listed is not the current mountain town of Brevard
Map Link (PDF File)
Note: The map is high resolution – so you should be able to zoom in close without losing any details.