Download and Upload Your FTDNA Raw DNA Data Files – both the download and the upload of your raw DNA data file from FTDNA can be accomplished at GEDmatch.com
1) Log in to your FTDNA account in another browser window or tab. There are several download options. You will need to select the Build 36 Raw Data Concatenated file to download from the options offered on FTDNA’s download page the option is in the bottom right corner.
2) Save the file somewhere on your device, so that you can find it later.
NOTE: Mac users are reporting that their data files are getting ‘un-zipped’ as soon as they try to download them from their testing company web site.
This causes problems for the upload utilities at GEDmatch.Com, since it expects to receive files in the same format as provided by the testing company.
In Safari “Preferences/General” the “Open safe files after downloading” at the bottom should be unchecked (the default is checked).
If the box is checked, the file is automatically unzipped and the zip file is moved to the “trash”.
3) You should end up with a file in your Downloads folder which can then be uploaded to www.gedmatch.com using the Generic Upload / FAST option.
4) It’s IMPORTANT that you wait for all chromosomes to load. It generally takes about 5-10 minutes. It will tell you when it’s finished. Write down the kit number that it assigns to your upload. Also, please email your kit number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) Once you have loaded your data, you will be able to use some features of the site within a couple of minutes. Additional batch processing, which usually takes less than 24 hours, must complete before you can use some additional tools comparing you to everyone in the data pool.